Remember last year’s awesome online asynchronous jam session where we did a mashup of three gorgeous tunes? We’re going to do it again!! For those of you that didn’t see it last year, click that link, and check out the video; it was loads of fun!
This year our three tunes are Inisheer, Simple Gifts, and Saint Anne’s Reel. Inisheer is a gorgeous Irish waltz, Simple Gifts is a wonderful old Shaker hymn, and Saint Anne’s is a fun French Canadian fiddle tune.
In this Google Drive folder, you’ll find sheet music and recordings you can play along with.
So here’s what you need to do to participate:
- Download the recordings and sheet music. (If you don’t read sheet music, that’s okay, just play along with the recordings as best you can!)
- Learn the music! Please try to learn it as written in the sheet music and played on the recordings.
- Small melodic variations are welcome, but don’t go too crazy! You can hear some examples of these small melodic variations in the recordings.
- Harmony parts are also welcome. We can’t promise that they will all make the final cut, but we’ll do our best to fit them in.
- We will also need chord-players, so if you feel like jamming along on the chords, you can do that too (or instead)!
- Please do not deviate from the chords as written/played.
- Turn on the recordings in your headphones, and record a video of yourself playing along while listening for each tune! Make sure you listen carefully to the metronome click so you stay in tempo.
- It is not required that you play on all three tunes! If you send in just one tune, we’ll include it in the final arrangement.
- Make sure your videos are in landscape orientation, not portrait!
- Try to make sure there is as little background noise as possible in your video!
- For Saint Anne’s Reel, everyone please play the slow one. For those of you who feel so inclined, you can also send in a video of the fast one! If we get enough of these, we’ll include it as a section in the final arrangement.
- Email your videos to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have to upload your video to Google Drive first and send a Google Drive link, that is fine. In your email, please provide the following information:
- The full name of everyone in your video as you would like it to appear in the video.
- The name of the instrument(s) being played in your video as you would like it to appear in the video.
- Optional: your favorite joke (clean or not is cool with me).
- DEADLINE IS FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 11, AT 11:59pm! – We cannot accept submissions past this time, to ensure the quality of the final project.
We SO look forward to hearing all of you play! This is going to be a fun one!
Thank you everyone, and see you soon!
NEFFA Massive Jam
NEFFA Program Chair