Please read this entire page before applying, so you understand the process and what we are looking for. We want YOU to perform at NEFFA!
General performer applications are now closed for the 2024 Festival. See the Application Schedule for details. Late applications may be placed on a wait list for cancellations as the program schedule permits. Join the NEFFA Loop for performer news including the annual Call for Performer Applications.
The New England Folk Festival (NEFFA) will be held on April 19-21, 2024 at the Best Western Royal Plaza Hotel & Trade Center, 181 Royal Plaza Dr West, Marlborough, MA 01752.
NEFFA is an all-volunteer Festival made possible by contributions of time and talent from our hundreds of performers and volunteers. We thank you for your participation and welcome your performer applications.
For the 2024 NEFFA Festival, vaccination and masking are optional. For details, please review our 2024 NEFFA Festival COVID Policy. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions that may impact your decision to apply.
2024 APPLICATION SCHEDULE
- Applications open Thursday, September 15 at http://apply.neffa.org.
- General applications close at 11:59pm on Sunday, October 15.
- Dance performance applications close at 11:59pm on January 5, 2024.
- Ritual dance applications close at 11:59pm on January 15.
- Program Committee decisions (acceptances/rejections) are sent on or about January 15.
- Performer confirmations of acceptance are due from accepted performers January 31.
PLEASE DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE DEADLINE TO APPLY!!! It is so much easier if the applications come in continuously over the application period, rather than all at once at the end. We are strict about these deadlines — NEFFA is a gigantic operation, and without structure everything would fall apart. THANK YOU in advance for helping us out by applying early.
If you are having any trouble with your application, please let us know immediately at email@example.com.
Put your thinking caps on, call your friends, and get ready to submit your NEFFA applications beginning September 15!
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
We always look forward to seeing many familiar faces and classic NEFFA sessions return (see Schedule), but we are especially excited to welcome new faces and hear your ideas for new sessions. If you have friends who might be a good fit for NEFFA, please pass this along.
New to the Festival? Check out our Festival Home to learn more about what happens at the Festival.
We are particularly eager for applications involving:
- Folk traditions underrepresented at NEFFA, especially from Asia, Africa, and South America
- Mentoring for those who wish to improve on their skills
- Structured jams — both instrumental and singing — especially slow jams
- Family-oriented participatory events – dancing, creative drama, storytelling/acting, singing, mummers’ plays, etc.
Note to Contra and Square Dance Callers
Note to ECD and Couple Dance Callers
Note on New Work to Singer/Songwriters and Composers
This is my first time applying to NEFFA. What are you looking for?
I would like to do a concert and/or play for a dance. What do I choose on the application?
Audiences love to sing along to our group. Should I select Entertainment or Group Participation in the event code?
I have more than two people in my group. Where do I enter their names on the application?
What happens after I submit my application(s)?
JOIN THE NEFFA LOOP
Join our mailing list to stay in the NEFFA Loop for application deadlines, process, and ways to participate. We welcome you to the NEFFA community!